Applying for driver’s license in Romania
Buy Romanian driver’s license-Applying for driver’s license in Romania. First of all, you need to be 18 years old. You can apply for a Romanian driver’s license once you are a resident in the country, or you are a student that has been living in Romania for at least six months. The process of getting the license includes theoretical and practical courses and exams. Expats need to enrol in driving schools.
Before the exams, they will have to register to the nearest police station, with the proof of residence or the university registration certificate. As for the language of examination, the exams are available in English, so make sure to choose this option. Buy Romanian driver’s license-Applying for driver’s license in Romania
Basic rules to get Romanian driving license:
- The minimum age for holding a driver’s license in our country is 18 years;
- standard validity of a Romanian driving license is 10 years, or 5 years, depending on the driving category (for category B – which applies to regular cars – the validity is 10 years);
- If you already hold a Romanian driver’s license but which is expired, this can be renewed without reexamination;
- If you hold a foreign driving license, this can be exchanged with an equivalent Romanian license, where Romanian legislation allows it (the exchange is not permitted for all countries), also without reexamination; if you need to exchange your foreign driving license to a Romanian one, then our step-by-step guide, which explains the entire procedure, the list of documents required, and the conditions you need to fulfill, is a must for you: How to exchange driving license to Romanian one – full procedure explained.
- If you change your domicile (address where you reside in Romania), it is not necessary to update it on your driving license;
- On the Romanian driving license there are clearly specified the categories of vehicles you are allowed to drive.
You will need the following documents:
- The original driving license and a copy of it;
- An authentication certificate that was sworn before a public notary;
- The resident card;
- An authorised translation of the national driver’s license from the home country;
- A dull application form all signed and filled;
- Medical certificate proving the ability of driving;
- A copy of a clean criminal record;
- Two passport-size identity photos.
Before we go into our guide on how to get a Romanian driver’s license, we’ll first go over the basics of the Romanian driver’s license.
Things to know about the Romanian Driver’s License
- Renewal of an expired driver’s license is done without reexamination.
- If you obtain your license with an automatic transmission, you can’t drive manuals.
- If you change your domicile, you don’t have to update it on your license.
- Licenses contain categories of vehicles you are permitted to drive.
- Categories that expire in 5 years: C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE, Tr, Tb, Tv
- Categories that expire in 10 years: AM, A1, A2, A, B, Bl BE
Rules for foreign citizens to get Romanian driving license
In September 2014 a Government Ordinance changed the rules that must be fulfilled by foreign citizens applying for a Romanian driving license. Thus, as first condition, foreign citizens who want to get a driving license in Romania must have their legal residence established in Romania for more than 6 months. Otherwise, they will not be allowed to apply for a driving license.
A similar rule is applicable by other EU countries as well. More exactly, a foreign citizen is considered to have the legal residence in Romania in the following situation: hold a legal right for residing in Romania (e.g., Romanian residency permit – for non-EU nationals, or a Romanian registration certificate – for EU nationals), and they live at an address located in Romania for at least 185 days per year, no matter the reasons: personal or professional ties. In order to apply for Romanian driving license, a person must submit few documents to prove that he/she has legal residence here.